During the 1950s, young families moving from Houston began to give Friendswood its modern, bedroom stature, but the population was still less than 1,000 in 1959. In 1960, farsighted local men put a plan into action for the incorporation of Friendswood, and the town elected its first mayor, city council, and a law officer – a move that helped prepare it to cope with the tremendous growth of the 1960s, as hundreds of NASA employees chose Friendswood as their home. Subdivisions, schools, churches, businesses and community organizations mushroomed. By 1966 Friendswood had its first medical clinic, pharmacy, bank, newspaper and police department. In 1969 the population was 5,200.